Declaration of Commitment (Verpflichtungserklärungen) explained

Verpflichtungserklärung is a Declaration which lets you to host a non-EU resident in Germany. With this declaration, you pledge to take care the entire living costs, medical and return costs of your Guest in Germany.

Validity of Verpflichtungserklärungen declaration letter

This declaration is valid for 6 months from the date of issue at Germany. You can invite the Guest for a period of up to- 3 months (Schengen Visa) and 5 years (National visa).

Who is my valid Guest?
Schengen Visa

You can invite anyone ranging from Parents, Relatives or friends interested in family reunion, sightseeing or for an official visit (conference, workshops etc.) to Germany.

National Visa
  • language/preparatory course in Germany.
  • Full time study or PHD course.
  • Job seeker visa (only 6 months validity).
Where and How to Apply?

Following documents are to be provided at the Ausländerbehörde-

Documents from Guest
  • Date of arrival and departure of Guest to/from Germany.
  • Passport copy.
Documents from Host
  • Registration document of your Apartment (Wohnung Anmeldung bescheinigung) and Apartment contract.
  • Passport copy.
  • German residence permit (for e.g. EU Blue card/ copy of visa) with visa validity more than the duration of stay of Host in Germany.  
  • Proof of Income – Salary slip (3 months for short term visa and 6 months for Long term visa).
  • Job Contract.
  • Bonafide certificate from employer with confirmation about current employment status.
  • Letter of undertaking of the formal obligation of Guest (Angaben zur Verpflichtungserklärung)– This form is available with the Ausländerbehörde and it should be duly signed and submitted during the application process.
Know More: All about Family Reunion Visa
Read Here: How to register your Apartment

Currently, it costs you around 29 € and at a reduced price of 14,50 € for minors.

If you furnish all the required documents, Ausländerbehörde can provide you the approved declaration letter in a few minutes.

Eazyleben tips:

  1. A third person can apply on your behalf with your passport copy/Visa copy and a signed power of attorney.
  2. It cannot be used for German family reunion visas or similar long-term visas.
  3. As the original copy of the letter should be submitted at the German embassy of the Host, adequate precaution should be taken to send the letter by post so that Host can apply for visa in less than 6 months from the Date of issue of letter.
  4. Beware that you cannot withdraw your obligation to Guest during its validity period. Only way out is either Guest finds someone else ready to commit the obligation or Guest proves enough fund to take care of them. Whatsoever, it should be duly verified by the concerned authorities in Germany.
  5. A Host no longer has obligation to Guest, When the Guest leave Germany, or else when the Guest switch to a different residence permit than what He/ She was entitled to under the declaration letter.
  6. If the declaration letter is lost, you should apply for a new one as a copy of the original is not valid.
  7. Personal Health Insurance for the Host to be covered either by Host/Guest.
Read Here: pension refunds on leaving Germany before 5 years
Read Here: Fill German forms with English instructions Here


4 thoughts on “Declaration of Commitment (Verpflichtungserklärungen) explained

  1. Hello There,

    I have a question. You mentioned hat we can not use declaration of commitment for family reunion visa.
    I wonder why? Could you please answer?

  2. Hallo, i have a question please, im in Germany since March, because of Corona i couldnt go back to my country. Now im making an “Ausbildung” and i want to cancel it. I dont have a residence permit nor a valid Visa. I came here with a Schengen Visa all by myself, a tourist Visa. When the lady here made me that Declaration of Commitment, because she wanted to help me, my Visa was also not valid. She applied for that Application after the expiration of my Visa in 2 months. Now i want to cancel the “Ausbildung” and the “Declaration of Commitment”. Is there anyway possible to do that? i want also to mention that it is still not possible for me to go back to my country, and i dont want to be taken care by someone else. Also the name in the Declaration of Commitment is wrongly written, my name in my passport is different from whats written.

    thank you in advance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *