German Permanent Settlement permit explained

EU blue card is a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) which is valid for a maximum period of 4 years or the validity of Job contract plus three months. Holders of EU Blue card can claim for permanent residence (Niederlassungserlaubnis) after 21 or 33 months of residence in Germany accordingly.

The permanent settlement permit is a residence title which is not time bound. it entitles to take any kind of occupation and opens various prospects like unrestricted right to live and to pursue any legal economic activity or work in Germany including for your family. It expires if you stay away from Germany for six consecutive months.

Other Qualification Period

The following periods shall also be taken into account with regard to the periods of possession of a temporary residence permit which are necessary in order to qualify for issuance of a permanent settlement permit:

  1. the duration of former possession of a temporary residence permit (for e.g. Blue Card) or permanent settlement permit, if the foreigner was in possession of a permanent settlement permit at the time of leaving the federal territory, minus the duration of intermediate stays outside of the federal territory which led to expiry of the permanent settlement permit; a maximum of four years shall be taken into account.
  2. a maximum of six months for each stay outside of the federal territory which did not lead to expiry of the temporary residence permit.
  3. half of the period of lawful stay for the purposes of study or vocational training in the federal territory.
Required Documents
  1. Valid Employment Contract.
  2. Bonafide Certificate from Employer– Current confirmation of employment as proof of continued work relationship.
  3. Last 3 salary slips .
  4. Proof of contribution to statutory pension Insurance scheme for at least 21 or 33 months accordingly.
  5. Proof of German language skills B1 (21 months) or A1 (33 months) accordingly.
  6. Proof of your knowledge of the German legal and social system (e.g. through the test “Life in Germany”).

since 1 March 2020, holders of an EU Blue Card have also been required to provide proof of basic knowledge of the legal and social order and of living conditions in Germany. In addition, in accordance with section 44 of the Residence Act, this group of persons is now also entitled to attend an integration course.

  1. No criminal records.
  2. Proof of Health Insurance.
  3. Apartment Contract with sufficient space for yourself and family.
  4. Apartment Registration certificate (Meldebestätigung).
  5. Valid passport.
  6. Biometric passport photograph.


It usually costs around € 135 normally and €200 for self-employed.

Once you have the necessary documents, you can contact the Ausländerbehörde for an Appointment and list of other documents, if any. During the Appointment, required documents are submitted along with duly signed Application form.

  1. You no longer have to go to Ausländerbehörde, except for exchanging your expired permanent settlement permit card for a new one.
  2. Right to social benefits like EU nationals including unemployment benefits, child allowances, education allowances.
  3. Access to any work or economic activity in Germany or EU.
  4. a prerequisite to naturalization (apply for passport).
  5. if you are a permanent residence card holder and if you become a parent after 8 years of living in Germany, then your child is a German citizen by birth (ius soli).
  6. Blue card specific rights is still valid if you are a former blue card holder.
Read Here: Request free statement of Contribution to German Pension insurance online
Read Here: Work across EU with a single residence permit visa

Permanent settlement provides unlimited residence title in Germany. Further, it lets you do any source of legal economic activity. So we consider it as a suitable residence title for someone with a long term plan as its a prerequisite to naturalisation in Germany. Further, for someone with a short-term plan, getting a PR also means that your visa is no longer bound to a Job and you can try other means of economic activity. Also, permanent settlement permit is not decisive while applying for your pension refund. For non-EU citizens having paid contributions for less than 60 months total and currently Residing in a non-EU/EEA country, having left former German occupation more than 24months ago can apply for the same.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *