German Integration Course explained
Now finally you have some room for good breath. Your spouses Application for extension of temporary residence permit has been successfully submitted. Now don’t be afraid If the Ausländerbehörde requests your spouse to attend an Integration course.
What is an Integration course?
It has two components-
- Language (elementary & advanced)
- Orientation component (German legal system, culture, recent history etc).
The language course usually lasts for 600 hours of classes (6 modules each of 100 hours) while the orientation course around 100 hours (one module). You can also request for Intensive course where you can complete B1 level within 430 hours of classes.
Are you below age of 27?
There are special courses where you learn additionally about school and training, higher education, work and career, culture etc.
Do you have Kids?
There are special courses where you learn additionally about school system and how to bring them up better.
Integration course for women
These courses have women only batches with special focus on their needs.
Usually it costs €1.95/hour (Unterrichteinheiten). This amount should be paid before beginning of each module (€ 195/Module).
How does it work?
- Once the Ausländerbehörde requests you to attend an integration course, you will be issued a certificate of eligibility (Berechtigungsschein) for the same.
- Find a course center (Kurstraeger) nearby and schedule an appointment for a basic exam (Einstufungstest) to evaluate your German language level.
- Submit your Certificate of Eligibility (Berechtigungsschein) along with passport and complete the exam which is usually divided into Writing, Listening and Speaking sections.
- Now, course center will issue a letter with appropriate recommendation about the level (module) at which you should start the German classes.
- You may decide to enrol at the same course center or else you are free to choose any other valid course center in your area.
- It’s recommended to send a copy of your course enrolment letter to the concerned authority at your Ausländerbehörde to update them about your course registration.
Integration course certificate (Zertifikat Integrationskurs)
After finishing the classes, following tests should be cleared to achieve the Integration course certificate.
- German language test (Deutsch-Test für Zuwanderer or DTZ) – to evaluate Language skills at B1 level.
- Living in “Germany test’’ – to evaluate Integration with German society.
Read Here: All about Family Reunion Visa Here
Read Here: Travelling with Fiktionsbescheinigung
- Be very careful about any due date from Ausländerbehörde to begin the Integration course. If you can’t meet the deadline, it’s always better to communicate with your Ausländerbehörde and request for alternatives.
- Get more information about Integration course from BAMF (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /Telephone: +49 9119430, Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.) .
- Attending the final exam after Integration course is free of cost. So, don’t miss it!!
- Integration course certificate (Zertifikat Integrationskurs) offers an additional advantage of claiming the German citizenship after 7 years of regular residence rather than 8 years.
- Half of the course fee will be refunded, if Integration course certificate is obtained in less than two years from the date of issue of certificate of eligibility for Integration course (Berechtigungsschein) by the Ausländerbehörde.
- If spouse is not issued a Certificate of Eligibility for Integration course by Ausländerbehörde, it can also be requested from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) or nearby job centre.